Walking outside this morning with a makeup-free face to get the newspaper, the moist wall of heat hit me immediately. Summer crept in without me even noticing it! Gritting my teeth at the prospect of wondering how I was going to manage not only my frizzy hair in the heavy air but also maintain some sort of makeup on my face that wasn’t going to sweat off all day, I decided to consult experts for tips. Check out these top tips for staying fresh-faced all summer long.
- Start with a good oil-free moisturizer. Recommended brands include Cerave, Roc Multi Correxion 5-in-1 Daily Moisturizer and Olay Regenerist Moisturizer with SPF 30.
- Next layer on sunscreen and UV protection if not already included in your moisturizer. Sunscreen should be applied every two hours but that’s tough with makeup on so try this trick instead: Repurpose an empty makeup compact:
- Use dish soap to clean an old liquid foundation compact and cushion. Let dry.
- Soak the cushion with your favorite face sunscreen inside the compact.
- To re-apply, dip a sponge applicator into the cushion and dab on your face.
3. Next, invest in a great foundation primer. This will go on after moisturizer and before foundation. Try No7 Airbrush Away Primer, which uses hyaluronic acid to soften wrinkles and blur imperfections — all while keeping your makeup on your face!
4. Ditch the foundation and use a tinted moisturizer. We like Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer with SPF. For dark spot or imperfections, spot treat with concealer. We love Jentry Kelley concealer sticks.
5. Set your makeup with a light dusting of translucent powder. We love Laura Mercier’s translucent powder. Remember not to apply too heavily, keep it light and glowy and then follow up with bronzer. Apply your bronzer to your temples, forehead, cheekbones and under your jawline to even out “white-neck syndrome”: Bronzer makes your eyes and teeth look brighter and gives you a healthy glow. We really like Jentry Kelley’s bronzer because it is flat. There should NEVER be any sparkle in your bronzer.
6. Apply an eye primer to keep powder eyeshadows in place. It will minimize creasing and create a base for the shadow to cling to so it lasts longer. For the ultimate in all-day wearability, layer a powder over the eye primer.
7. Find a good waterproof mascara. They don’t all have to be harsh! We love CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Waterproof Mascara.
8. Finish up with a setting spray, we recommend Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray. We noticed our makeup lasting longer throughout the day, and it didn’t get as slick or shiny as usual.