We’re always looking for fresh ideas when it comes to decorating for the holidays. For the second year, we attended The Houston Design Center’s Deck The Halls event to gather ideas from some of Houston’s finest design professionals. This year we were even asked to judge the entries! Check out these terrific ideas for making your home festive and full of cheer!
1. Layer fresh greenery, potted flowers, votives and even fruit on your hearth or buffet for an organic and seasonal look.
2. Wreaths aren’t just for doors and windows anymore! Place a wreath around a mirror for a festive touch.
3. Use elements of different heights and textures.
4. Bring the outside in by foraging for tree boughs and pine needles, wrap them in heavy twine, collect rocks and paint your guests’ names on them.
5. Mix high end and low end on tabletops. This tablescape includes everything from Pottery Barn plates, to Christofle flatware to red dining chairs weathered by a Texas Gulf Coast hurricane.
6. Don’t be afraid to mix in non-traditional holiday colors. Pop it with pink, layer in Tiffany Blue (and send a message to your significant other!) or zhuzh it up with on-trend metallics!
7. While most tablescapes go low, go high. Hang oversized statement pieces above your tabletop to maximize holiday cheer feels.
8. Have a long skinny table? No problem! This piece features a rain gutter cut to the required length with water-tight ends and legs added to keep it upright. Fill with water and flowers and voila!
9. Holiday tabletops aren’t just for Christmas anymore. Set a New Year’s table and include sweet little bottles of bubbly for your guests.
10. It’s “time” to think about decorating your table for a New Year’s celebration. We love this idea of scattering watch faces around your table to add whimsy and a timely reminder of why we are gathered.
Try some of these looks and impress your guests!
Tabletop decor courtesy of The Design Center’s Deck The Halls, benefitting MAM.